*WARNING: potentially disturbing images
The playful scene of dads tossing their kid up in the air and catching them paints a picture-perfect bond between parent and child.
Pictures may speak a thousand words, but nobody ever said it was the truth.
And especially not so for 25 year-old Em Phoeykiln from Thailand, who was playing with his 3-year-old daugher, Oum, in their living room, when he accidentally tossed her so high that her head hit the spinning ceiling fan overhead.
The accident was so severe that even the metal blade of the fan bent from the impact; Oum was left with a 4-inch gash on her forehead that exposed her skull.
Blood was pouring out of the wound, and Oum was in excruciating pain, as Phoeykiln recalled, heart-broken.
Oum was immediately rushed to the hospital. The emergency surgery to save her life cost 70,000 Thai Baht (~S$2,700), a hefty price that the family could only afford by selling their belongings at home.
In the surgery, doctors stapled Oum’s wound shut and bandaged her head.
Thankfully, the toddler is now healing well and is already back home and walking again.
But she has a massive scar on her head, and her family will probably never be playing the tossing game ever again.
Fan safety tips to protect your child
– Place standing fans well away from your child’s beds or play areas, and ensure that there is no surface nearby they can climb up in order to reach the fan.
– Invest in a fan guard, a fine mesh to fit over the fan head that will prevent your child’s fingers from getting caught in the blades. You might think the fan cover is enough of a safety precaution, but remember your child’s delicate hands are much smaller than yours!
– Or, invest in a bladeless fan. It undoubtedly a lot pricier, but it’s not only safer, it’s also noise-free and creates better air flow than conventional fans.
– Educate your child about the dangers of playing around or with any fan – not only playing with the fan with their bare hands but also poking other objects at the spinning blades.
– If you’re to install ceiling fans, avoid positioning them directly above desks, beds, or any high surface that your young children might use to reach them.
– And lastly, don’t throw your kids into fans.
By Pinky Chng, August 2016